Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Toothbrushes are extremely important

It is extremely important to brush your teeth.  It promotes healthy gums, white teeth, and fresh breath.  They taught us all these basic facts in kindergarten.  I bet you don't remember hearing that a toothbrush will also make or break the progression of a relationship.
I have not had a lot of guests' toothbrushes in my life, but as one appears beside mine, I can't help wondering what the big deal is.  I'm always hearing women sigh and declare "Well, he has a toothbrush at my place."  I don't quite understand.  Men don't carry purses, so it's much more difficult to carry a toothbrush to and fro.  For the most part, it's just a normal over the counter disposable toothbrush, not a Sonicare, so leaving a toothbrush behind might have him out, what, oh maybe a buck?  All the toothbrush really says is "I come over here and do stuff that takes some time and makes my breath reek."  If a man just said that to most women, they wouldn't exactly swoon.
I've also heard women declare the moment they leave a toothbrush at a man's place.  First of all, have you noticed it's mainly when the man has roommates, which is a terrifying prospect on many levels.  One, it's much easier for men to explain away an extra toothbrush to other women when a roommate is involved.  Two, I can only imagine what is being done to that toothbrush when the owner isn't in attendance.
Also, just leaving a toothbrush behind unannounced isn't that impressive.  I bet most men don't even notice that there is an extra toothbrush, especially if we are referring to the same roommate situation.  Then, if they do notice it, why would they bother throwing it away or mentioning it to you if they wanted it removed?  Have you ever noticed how awful it is to talk to one of us about relationship boundaries?  It's awful.  They're honestly just choosing their battles.
So, let's just remember what's important about the toothbrush. It is not a barometer for our relationships.  Let's use toothbrushes to promote both good dental health AND good mental health.

No comments:

Post a Comment