Wednesday, October 12, 2011

It really ISN'T supposed to be that difficult

I am in my early 30s, a child of the 80s, and raised in a single parent household.  Many of us can be described this way.  I'm not exactly sure which part of my upbringing had me convinced that relationships are supposed to be such hard work.  Not just compromise, but grueling, painful hard work.  I haven't had many relationships, but the, ahem, two I had in the past were full of too much effort on both of our parts.  I'm not saying I was always a dream to be with; I know my exes had to work hard to be with me as well.  I am fortunate enough to now be with someone that doesn't make me feel like I have another full time job.  I'm not saying he doesn't sometimes drive me crazy when he gets tired and cranky and yells for water, but for the most part, it's relaxed and smooth sailing.  We all just need to realize that the hard work that relationships require is not supposed to be constant.  We don't have to suffer greatly for very little reward.  Relationships should not be as exhausting as our jobs, which we at least get paid to dislike.
So if you have suffered or are suffering through a relationship that made you feel slightly off and extremely overworked, know that it does get better.  It is not supposed that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment